Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Taste vs Output


Today I want to share something with you that has been on my mind the past few days.
My friend and fellow Etsy shop owner, Laura Baillie, recently shared this video on her Facebook page.
...and I totally *got* it...

Back in October, during my 31 Days to Releasing Your Inner Artist series, I wrote a very to-the-point post about saving all your photographic files. But I think I failed to get the bigger-picture point across, which is exactly what Ira Glass talks about in the following video; that the quality of your work doesn't always match the quality of your taste...but it can and will over time, so long as you stick with your craft and don't give up!

Below is a cliff-notes version of Ira Glass' video on storytelling.
{ You might know Ira Glass from NPR or This American Life radio program...I don't believe he has any relation to George Glass. ;) }
While he's talking specifically about storytelling, his advice can be applied to any creative medium.



Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.
Taken and adapted from the original video Ira Glass on Storytelling, Part 3 of 4 on YouTube.


I would say I'm in this place right now.
It seems like every other fine art photographer is more successful than I; like they have some kind of magical customer catcher.
What I'm realizing through this video is that I'm honestly still in my beginning phases. It takes a very long time and a lot of hard work to build success, especially in today's saturated online markets. And what I got from this video, which is exactly what I hope you get from it, is understanding, hope and motivation for persistence!

If you *get* this and are in that place where Ira is talking about, I highly recommend you watch/listen to the entire four part series.





6 comments:

  1. Katie, I am so glad you shared this! I literally just walked in the door from photographing my tree, the tree that I've photographed a hundred times if I've done it once. I was talking to myself about this the whole time. Walking around the tree, noticing the light, noticing the bokeh, shaping the bokeh, tweaking the depth of field, finding negative space, trying to mix the spring colors in the negative space, thinking, "What on earth is going to set these 50 pictures apart from every other picture I have of this tree?" And which one will I love? I haven't found out yet, but now I must upload. You are many steps ahead of me, Katie Lloyd! I'm thankful for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video is SO great, I have to share it in my Facebook page. I know exactly what he is talking about and I'm so with you in this. Thank you so much for showing this, it really really gives so many thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! He said it perfectly! I KNOW I have the eye, I'm just waiting for my skills to catch up and the only way to close that gap is by doing. Thanks so much for sharing Katie! I'm going to share this too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GMTA... read this..http://www.simplylifephotographs.com/2012/03/after-reading-this-post-httpwww.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the video. I needed to hear that you just need to push one no matter what anyone says or does not say about your work. If you feel a passion for learning you will improve in your work or at least I hope so. Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit and comment! I read and value each and every one. I am no longer able to keep up with returning comments on blogs, but please know that your visit and comment is greatly appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...